Wednesday, October 15, 2008

[The Record Crate] Talking Demonic and Burying Strangers


Talkdemonic "Final Russians" - live at the Doug Fir Lounge in Portland, OR 2007

I didn’t make it out to the Monotonix show this past week, and by all accounts I missed one of the most incredible rock spectacles possible. It’s OK though, dear reader, for I feel a connection with you through the auspices of this column and by your being there, I felt I was a little there, too. Just as long as one of us goes and keeps this live music thing going.

Among the list of shows that one of us should go see is the Thursday appearance by A Place to Bury Strangers, a Brooklyn power trio that mines the feedback throb of shoegaze bands of yore (My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Mighty Lemon Drops, etc.) to devastating effect. UK fellow travelers Sian Alice Group are in support.

One of the best CDs to come through my mail slot recently is Talkdemonic’s Eyes at Half Mast, a scintillating array of rock instrumentals straddling the line between post-rock and trance. It is the kind of music that fills the room like a fog when it’s on, the kind that reorients you into its dense rhythms. They will be appearing with Born Ruffians and Plants & Animals at Spanish Moon.

The South Coast Coalition, the hardest working crew in regional underground hip-hop, will be celebrating the release of their latest DVD Classic Material at The Caterie this week with an appearance by their in-house MC T-Bo, Max Minelli, Sam I Am and more.

If none of that entices you, your favorite local band Melters will be melting it up at North Gate Tavern on Friday night. Somewhere in there, I think there is plenty for us to do this week.

Link to original with local events calendar


No comments:

Post a Comment