Saturday, November 1, 2008

Review: The Freddie Stories by Lynda Barry

The Freddie Stories The Freddie Stories by Lynda Barry

rating: 5 of 5 stars
I know there are those that claim to not like Lynda Barry, but I rope them in with the people that claim to not like peanut butter, in that I hear what they are saying but I don't really believe them.

This brief book is tragic and hilarious, fantastic and all too real. It entails the level of transcendence that any writer wishes they had access to. It's a tangle of words and image, as dense as a real vine hidden in the weeds of real life. You feel wrapped up in those thorny nether-vines with ethereal Freddie, watching poor mortal Freddie navigate the horror of existence with defiant denial. It is the best 45-minute book you will ever read and re-read.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Lynda Barry's work is too dense to get the joke, and the artwork hurts your eyes after the first reading.
    But I don't like peanut butter either.

    ReplyDelete