Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Legends of Springsteen


In answer to this post on WNYC's Soundcheck blog, I never want to listen to a new Bruce Springsteen album when it comes out. I just don't. I know its gonna be corny and overblown even if its great, because Springsteen is all of those things when he's at his best. But I just don't want to hear it, not yet. Which is no fault of Bruce's, he continues to do his thing on his own terms and people seem to like it and good for him, and probably for us all, He's a different man than he was in 1973 and it is a different world than Ashbury Park (lala) was then, so there is no reason to expect him to be the same guy, and maybe Working on a Dream (lala) is the nth resurrection of the true working class hero, but I still don't want to listen to it now. I'll get to it. I still haven't given The Ghost of Tom Joad (lala) the time it likely deserves.

It does make me want to go back to spend some long overdue time with the lean, squirrely Bruce panting in my ear about how hard it is to be a saint in the city, shrieking about wolfman fairies dressed in drag for homicide, blessing the bus driver's children, and for that, I'm thankful that he still keeps making records. Oh, and thanks for putting Obama in office. And for sweeping up after the inauguration.

The "Legends of Springsteen" skits from the old Ben Stller show

No comments:

Post a Comment