Wednesday, March 25, 2009

meme -> iPhone Apocalypse Strategy

From the Facebooks of many:


"List your top 40 albums!!!! Remember, you can't list an artist twice!"

OK! Off the top of my head! Like if I had time to load just 40 albums on my phone before the apocalypse hit and had no time to think about it! Stock-the-bunker-sound-system music-for-the-long-haul music! And for some weird reason iTunes wouldn't let me repeat artists! Whatever! No time to figure out why! Hurry!

  1. Can - Tago Mago
  2. Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
  3. The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour
  4. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
  5. Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun
  6. Richard Youngs - Sapphie
  7. John Fahey - America
  8. P-Funk All Stars - P-Funk Earth Tour Live
  9. Nick Drake - Pink Moon
  10. Wilco - Being There
  11. The Who - Who's Next
  12. Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
  13. Yes - Close to the Edge
  14. Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)
  15. XTC - Skylarking
  16. Ramsay Midwood - Shootout at the OK Chinese Restaurant
  17. Joy Division - Substance
  18. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
  19. Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
  20. Sun Ra - We Travel the Spaceways
  21. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
  22. Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians
  23. Lucinda Williams - Happy Woman Blues
  24. Velvet Underground - s/t (3rd album)
  25. Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City
  26. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
  27. Fugazi - Red Medicine
  28. Motörhead - Ace of Spades
  29. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  30. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
  31. La Monte Young - The Well Tuned Piano
  32. Lee "Scratch" Perry - Chicken Scratch
  33. Tom Petty - Greatest Hits
  34. Bonny Prince Billy and The Marquis de Tren - Get the Fuck on Jolly Live
  35. Charles Mingus - Mingus at the Bohemia
  36. Love - Forever Changes
  37. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
  38. Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
  39. Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
  40. The Cramps - Songs the Lord Taught Us
So, should the cleanup crew find my miraculously still-charged phone among the dust that was me, and somehow it was the only remaining trace of musical history left, it would appear that the sound of our culture was that of a late night college DJ with a pedagogical bent, the Beatles and Elvis would both persist the Next Phase only as unspoken influences, and hip-hop, Prince, most of punk rock and anything past 2001 just never happened.

I predict were you to somehow access my last.fm profile reports from the Event Horizon on, you would find that I never listened to that Bonny Prince Billy I wanted so badly, played any jazz track for at most 3 minutes except for the Mingus record, only ever got through the first two tracks on the Boredoms, talked about Sly & the Family Stone more than I listened to it, and basically played to Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, and Tom Petty on shuffle most of the time, because everyone in the bunker, including myself, hated all the other music I put on there after the first week.

I convinced no-one how good that Can album is. Playing La Monte Young and Yes both nearly resulted in my expulsion to the radioactive wasteland. We culled together some form of religion around playing Curtis Mayfield at "sunup" (estimated of course, no windows) every Sunday and tidied up the bunker, or at least felt we should. I likely realized that holding on to the Fall is more about holding onto the dreams of youth than actual musical enjoyment, but it will lift my spirits to know that it's there. Everyone was pleased that I thought to put Guns N Roses on there, since it is an album we can all agree to liking whether we want to admit it or not.

It will also be noted that I attempted to check my email at least once every 30 waking minutes for my tenure in the bunker, even though I full-well knew the whole of civilization had been destroyed.

1 comment:

  1. Im glad to see that you went from neglecting Curtis Mayfield to including Curtis in your top 40 records in a little more than a month. You have truly been atoned for your past sins.

    ReplyDelete