Thursday, March 26, 2009

reelin' in the years, part 2


1972: Thin Lizzy - Shades of a Blue Orphanage (listen) This notoriously uneven record from the pre-Jailbreak Thin Lizzy goes underlooked (at least by me) in deference to their more popular material later on, but there are some inspired moments of epic boogie on the edge of cognition, like this

and wow, this song is pretty!

I take back anything I have said about this record being uneven or spotty. This album is gorgeous, strident, possibly even groundbreaking - the catalyst that turned folk-rock into both heavy metal and Bruce Springsteen. I love this record!

1973: The Bee Gees - Life in a Tin Can (listen) I'm starting to come around to the pre-disco Bee Gees. I'm not sure it is a particularly good thing to come around to, but around I'm coming nonetheless.
1974: Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage (listen) I want 1974 Peter Hammill to emerge from the cryo-chamber and lead us into battle when the real clone wars happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment