Friday, March 27, 2009

reelin' in the years, part 5


1981: Tenpole Tudor - Eddie, Old Bob, Dick and Gary (listen) I believe they were on an episode of "The Young Ones," but there is no evidence supporting this. But I won't let that stop me; I swore for years that Boy George appeared in an episode on "The A-Team" with no one believing me, and yet, here it is. This is, so far my 2nd favorite record I have discovered in this exercise, right after the Thin Lizzy.
1982: China Crisis - Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms, Some People Think It's Fun To Entertain (listen) This is a record I had for years and never listened to it. I only remember this because I thought "I've never listened to this" every time I pulled it off the shelf, only to reshelve it and listen to something else. And upon first listen, I thought I should do the same thing now, but my daughter and I heard "Rock the Casbah" on the radio and it reminded me of how much I love the places where disco and punk intersect in the welcoming congregation of funk, and while there is scarecly anything punk at all about China Crisis, I heard a twinge of that very thing in this song
1983: Marillion - Scripts for a Jester's Tears (listen) I remember a couple of my friends getting very excited about Marillion somewhere around '85 and remember being a little swept up in it by proximity, but I could not tell you a single Marillion song. I couldn't tell you the name of the one I am listening to now without looking. I can say it sounds like a mix of Peter Gabriel and Rush, and that is probably why we liked it. Had they worked some Oingo Boingo into the mix, they would have been the perfect band for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment