Tuesday, June 23, 2009

dem bones



Dinu Lipatti - Icon: Dinu Lipatti (listen) My mind is brimming with mixtape ideas now. I was looking for the exact right piano piece to open in it with, and didn't find it, but am determined that whatever gets chosen will be performed by Dinu Lipatti, not only because of his fluttering mastery, but because Dinu Lipatti is a hell of a name. I might close the tape with the Mountain Goats' "Dinu Lipatti's Bones" just for symmetry.




Terry Riley - Chanting the Light of Foresight (listen) The harmonium/sax drone-off at the onset of this record reminded me of two things: 1) we are are all specs floating on the surface of an impossible deep and vast lake and only acknowledge our own existence when we are hit by the ripples from one of the other specs, and 2) that I've been meaning to write up a review of the Mia Doi Todd record (listen), and haven't yet.


Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Dazzle Ships (listen) Aww, I love the old OMD. It reminds me of being a teenager looking toward a bright future illuminated by the glow of machines, a future that has been to a degree fulfilled.



and I close with the new single from the mighty Zomby, synced with the ye olde 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment