Wednesday, July 15, 2009

stock reduction



Karlheinz Stockhausen - Stimmung (Copenhagen version) - I'm listening to this again this morning with higher volume and fresher ears. Last night I found it to be a seance bridging the spheres; in the light of morning, it primarily sounds like a circle of people going eeeeooooowwwwmm-weeeema-whoaaaaaama-wooooooooncha over and over, like what beam-down crew from the Enterprise would hear while spying on an alien ritual from behind a paper-mâché boulder.

Perhaps he could have scored a companion piece for six kids amusing themselves by singing into rotary fans.

Like everything I've heard by Stockhausen (admittedly just a fraction of his compositions), it is interesting from a phenomenological and conceptual standpoint, and I'm sure makes for great theater live, but just listening to it is not particularly moving. Is that the deal? I know you Stockhausen obsessives are out there, reading this from your Google alert; point me to the piece that will make me a believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment