Friday, August 14, 2009

can't tell you much about chrome



Chrome - Chrome Box (listen) This afternoon of data crunching and number binding has been done to the dulcet howls of Chrome, the umbrella organization for rock aktions on the part of Damon Edge and Helios Creed, sometimes together, sometimes apart. They were a band I never got all that into; at the college station, I would put on a Chrome song according to time length for I knew that it would maintain the tempo it started with for that duration, and I could run down the hall to the bathroom or smoke a cigarette or go flip the tape of whatever album I was recording in the production room next door. Once I put on a Chrome album with a skip in the track and so mechanical is Chrome's beat that it was a minute before I noticed.

I couldn't reliably tell you if this 55-song, almost 4 hour box set spans the various "periods" of the band. It has been on in the background all afternoon, creating a tribal menace layer fitting for the Friday of a particularly hairy week, but outside of that, I can't even tell you what it sounds like or whether I particularly like it or not. I can say, however, that it was less successful at being a catalyst for tying all this goddamn data together in a meaningful way than was the cycle of folk rock yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment