Thursday, August 27, 2009

start the clock anew



The Flaming Lips - Embryonic EP (listen) Three from their upcoming double CD Embryonic. I happen to think The Soft Bulletin to be one of the finest records of the last however many years it's been, and these tracks remind me a bit of that material so maybe we will have to start the clock anew in October when Embryonic comes out.



The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - s/t (listen) This is a band for which nearly everyone I know is all about and I have, until now, heard nary a lick. I tend to think the good music will be brought to me in the same manner that secrets of the forest are delivered to crazy people who can talk to animals, so when I haven't heard something, I generally figure its for the best. This album is immediately lovable because it sounds like things I love like Yo La Tengo and Belle & Sebastian and that month in high school when Jesus & Mary Chain was the best album I'd ever heard. Lovable but not exactly loved. They have a song called "The Tenure Itch" and the people I've encountered into this are all academic types, so there is the possible source of the persistent appreciation. Whatevs. TPOBPAH would likely be more fun than a pillow fight live, and I salute this title song unheard.


And now, heard as well.

The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy - Wow, I loved this record; still love this record. I remember when we all heard "Just Like Honey" on Coyote Calhoun's Sneak Music Previews on Q93 in New Orleans, the only tap we had into underground anything in Houma and we all flipped. Word got out that this guy Barry at my high school had a copy of the tape and I brazenly went up to him and asked to borrow it, even though I had run into his truck at the Methodist youth group thing we all went to and kissed his girlfriend at a Mardi Gras parade in the previous year. But the shock of my asking crossed with his happening to have it in his denim jacket pocket at that very moment prompted him to lend it to me, and I wore out my taped copy of it, as well as the copy of the copy I made of it right before the first copy died completely. I don't think I've ever owned another version of it, like on album or CD or even downloaded. It is permanently fixed like the dent in Barry's door.

The Jesus And Mary chain - Just Like Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment