Monday, September 28, 2009

nighthawks at the gas station restaurant



This weekend saw the first of many circuitous trips I will be making for the book, heading way out and circling back in via nightclubs and gas stations like the one outside of Opelousas shown above, and eating things like the Grilled Catfish Supreme at D.I.'s Cajun Music and Food (warning: Auto Cajun music on the site) in Baslile, LA, illustrated below. Rough gig, I know.



These two records and this radio station kept me company.



Clifton Chenier - Sings the Blues (listen)
Queen Ida & Her Zydeco Band - Caught in the Act (listen)
KBON 101.1 FM "Louisiana Proud" (listen online) Amoung the countless takes of cheatin' heard that night, the finest was Richard LeBouef doing "Take a Letter, Maria." I couldn't find his version to post, so here is the great R. B. Greaves, who wrote the song and had a #2 hit with it in 1969, singing it for a TV audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment