Wednesday, September 2, 2009

so, be glad I'm not a folksinger



John Phillips - Soundtrack to "Andy Warhol Presents Man on the Moon" - I am weirdly smitten with this record, much more so than I would have expected. Schmaltzy as any damn musical is, but Phillips issues these goofy little space numbers with undeniable charm. If I were a folksinger, I would work up a number of these as unearthed rarities for my coffeehouse set. A little Bowie, a little Cat Stevens, a touch of Skip Spence madness tinting mostly harmlessly weird songs about outer space and peace and love and astronauts. So, be glad I'm not a folksinger.

The Hollies - Evolution (listen) I was not long ago witness to a "ok...what about ____" pissing match among music nerds that somehow I found the restraint to stay a bystander, and someone mentioned the Hollies, a band for whom I only know the hits like "Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)" and ones I forgot about like "Carrie-Anne" that my mom would sing along when it came up on WTIX late Sunday nights on the long rides back from her boyfriend's house down the bayou. But OK, whatever, groove on this, groovers:


For the x-hundredth time on this blog, I present Donovan's "Epistle to Dippy." If I thought this blog needed a theme song, this would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment