Monday, April 26, 2010

a lousy second-hand comrade



Patrick Rosenkranz, Who the Hell is Robert Ronnie Branaman? (2010, above, and here, likely NSFW)
M.I.A., "Born Free" (2010, video, also NSFW and for the violence-sensitive)
Venetian Snares, Detrimentalist (2008, lala)
Cowboy Junkies, Best of the Cowboy Junkies (1988, lala)

Media announcement: My better-late-than-never review of Drive-By Truckers' The Big To-Do is up at outsideleft.

Which reminds me: some outsideleft-related, Beat-connected folks are pushing this film about the Beat poet & painter Robert Ronnie Branaman and I'd be a lousy second-hand comrade if I didn't join in. M.I.A., I like everything about her except the music and I like the music better this time around. The more doped-out and ragged the electro-rage, the better.


But then, there's only so much of that shit I can stand until I need actual doped-out music in its stead.



Edited to add: the drums on "Rock and Bird" sound exactly like the little instant message click noise on Facebook, underscoring the Pavlovian connection I have with social networking sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment