Friday, June 18, 2010

being-repaired


The fountains under repair at the Shaw Center; Old State Capitol in the background

Inara George and Van Dyke Parks, An Invitation
Kyle Bobby Dunn, A Young Person's Guide to Kyle Bobby Dunn

My second writing class, up in the building next to those being-repaired fountains, went great last night. They were supposed to pitch stories to me and 1) they all had pitches ready and 2) they were good stories! I can only chalk this level of quality up to that of their instructor. I jest, but f''real, it was inspiring to be around people thinking about things and shaping those things they think about. Next week is the first drafts.

I'm newly smitten with the Old State Capitol, by the way. I always liked it, but lately it has its thing going on. It makes the boxy, cement, modernist office-containers around it underscore the way we misunderstand progress. Beauty greases the wheel on which the good progress rolls.



Minimalist composer Kyle Bobby Dunn kindly sent me the young person's guide to himself and I think this would sound lovely, softly booming through the building's gilded caverns.


Kyle Bobby Dunn, Set of Four (Its meaning is Deeper Than Its Title Implies)

No comments:

Post a Comment