Friday, July 16, 2010

Gaze into my tomato salad



Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby, Two-Way Family Favorites

Gaze into my tomato salad and you will learn all my secrets, for this is what I eat for lunch just about every day, along with a sandwich and a piece of fruit, and on the days that I eat lunch out, I wish I'd gotten tomato salad instead of what I ordered.

I am not a cover versions guy - I do not consider doing a clever version of someone else's song an artist's most noble goal, and I realize I might be alone in feeling this way, but it is how I feel deep in my tomato salad-fortified bones. So how surprised was I when I finally held my nose to hear this CD by sorta folkie Amy Rigby and sorta punker Wreckless Eric do that very thing - they do warhorses like "Put a Little Love in Your Heart" and "Fernando" - and it is genius. Radiant. Enamorable. A really good record. I wish I could share their doing the Who's "Endless Wire" or Tom Petty's "Walls" with you because they kill, but you'll have to suffice with them winding up guitar cables and doing Johnny Cash. Simple, but simply right.

No comments:

Post a Comment