Friday, July 23, 2010

a milli, a milli

 From here.

Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III

Baton Rouge is just about right on the 35 MPH line. Last time we had a hurricane hit us (Gustav, 2008), I was sitting in the dark reading a just-published article I'd written about when Baton Rouge's population doubled on a week after Katrina hit in 2005 and was seeking air conditioning and outlets at the mall, making a bunch of frenzied posts from my phone like
Just like in the remake of Dawn of the Dead, we hearty survivors of Gustav are up at the mall, and I am a veritable.... 
What happened after the ellipses is a blur. Maybe a zombie got me. Maybe my parents. Here are some pics.

This piece about Lil Wayne I posted not long after the lights came back on captures my mindset at the time. Weezy totally got me through that week. It was awful, and just to keep in perspective, an infinitesimal cakewalk made of small potatoes compared to what New Orleans went through in 2005 and after. And in many ways, still. I still feel a little sheepish complaining about it knowing what people I know went through, but yeah, awful.


Lil Wayne, "A Milli"

No comments:

Post a Comment