Monday, August 23, 2010

yawning to life


Hallway adjacent to the boring recess. The library's listening rooms used to be back in that door and despite the admonishing, I did smoke in there at least once.

Tao Lin, Richard Yates
Vic Chesnutt, Silver Lake
Michelle Shocked, Texas Campfire Tapes
Billy Bragg & Wilco, Mermaid Avenue

Per Drive-By Truckers, I called (her) home on my sister's birthday.

I did go to read in the most boring, uninviting recess of the library and yet one student sat on an adjacent couch in a corny peace sign t-shirt eating a Subway sandwich  and then another, having finished her Subway sandwich in the chairs across the way, once the chattering gaggle of foreign students moved on, kicked off her shoes, strew her backpack and things about the tiled floor and stretched out on the other adjacent couch for a nap. It was like Richard Yates yawning to life as I read it. I closed the book and marched up to the 4th floor to look up books by the actual Richard Yates, for whom this novel is named, and wondered if instead I might find the author curled up asleep, stuffed into the shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment