Monday, October 11, 2010

you're gonna wake up one morning as the sun greets the dawn



13th Floor Elevators, "You're Gonna Miss me"
Curtis Mayfield, "Move On Up" 
Nick Flynn, The Ticking is the Bomb
Paul Weller, Catch-Flame!
David Johansen, Here Comes the Night

"You're Gonna Miss Me" was on the radio once I got back through the sunbeams of the morning jaunt to school and before the drag to work and I got so much done yesterday I feel all Curtis Mayfield about the days before me. I think the teenagers of America are missing out on foisting their wild youth culture on the olds via the mas-media. Elvis on Ed Sullivan wouldn't happen now because the grown-ups have 100 other channels they can turn to telling them what they want to hear. It's a little sad. How will they shake their heads in disappointment at you if they never see you?




I met a guy this weekend that drunkenly announced "I'm gonna have my own TV show" and I almost told him "You are my hero" until I realized he meant he wants to have his own TV show. I was thinking it was in the works. I don't want a TV show, I don't even like TV all that much.* I liked having radio shows when I had them and have kicked around the idea until I kick it into that black hole where all my free time goes and I realize I'm just looking for some strange when I got the good stuff right in front of me.

Remember your dreams
are your only schemes
So keep on pushing
Take nothing less


This new Nick Flynn book is rivetingly written, and I'm thinking to review it along with The Adderall Diaries because they seem related; a similar story wrapped up in similar stories filtered through two different people. Isn't that how jokes work? Like there's no new funny on the world and it's all in the telling and that's what we really like?

*Except I do. I'll save my Cheeto's for you.

1 comment:

  1. "you have to have an appointment to disappoint" -- gil scott-heron

    ReplyDelete