Tuesday, March 15, 2011

here's where I told this story before

IMG_0184
This is a random unedited shot of my street. I'm into what's going on in the wires.

R.E.M., Collapse Into Now
Drive-By Truckers, The Dirty South
Ô Paon, Courses
Bongwater, Too Much Sleep
tUnE-yArDs, w h o k i l l (out on 4/19)
Matt Berry, Witchhazel

I was at a  party this weekend talking about this one little painting by Myron Stout, and how on my one trip to MoMA or possibly the Whitney, I went through a giant Ilya Kabakov installation, a thing with a bunch of wooden doors and haunting Russian emptiness, reflecting now in my mind all the shots of Chenobyl I've looked at after the Japanese reactor meltdown news, trying to understand what meltdown really means because I don't think I did (it is subjective in its effect, dependent on the amount of precautions) , and anyway I went through this Kabakov thing and I love love love Kabakov in books but the real thing left me cold and when I emerged on the other side, there was the Stout painting in a funky alcove, all "we gotta hang this somewhere",  and boom! It was seawater rushing into my reactor core.

Now I am wondering if all this is really true or if I am getting the museum and/or pieces wrong and how do I find out and if there's merit in finding out? If I was to translate this experience into a larger project, then yes, provided there is merit in the project, and so on. Don't I have enough to do? Was this just good enough for a blog or cocktail party talk? Is that all the same difference? Anyway, people are here for my meeting. Here's the little Stout and here's where I told this story before in a  different way and again, same diff?

Myron Stout, Untitled (Number 3 - 1956), 1956
Oil on canvas, 26 x 18",
Collection The Carnegie Museum of Art
Image from Abstraction Geometry Painting, New York, Abrams, 1989


Mostly, I was trying to remember Myron Stout's name and now I got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment