Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It serves you right to suffer



Pinetop Perkins, On Top
John Lee Hooker, It Serves You Right to Suffer
Bukka White, Sky Songs


I wrote a thing about Pinetop Perkins' passing and the Truth of boogie-woogie but it got funnelled into my 225 blog for tomorrow, so you're gonna have to wait. It serves you right to suffer. What I took out is that boogie-woogie is not my favored quadrant of the blues; I prefer how John Lee Hooker pounds on that nail until it is flush with the coffin wood and how Bukka White will keep playing as long as you got magnetic tape
and then some extended train metaphors that no one needs to hear.

After hearing that Morton Feldman's String Quartet is six hours long, I need to hear it. That's how bad my train metaphors were; someone needs to hear a six hour relatively event-less string quartet, that someon being myself, but no one needs to hear one lousy train metaphor. It's a quality/quantity schism that plagues every writer. I also want to read one of those Beckett novels, the ones that are like locust-words chomping on your synapses but I'm not going to do that yet either.


Acclaimed film director Jim Jarmusch reads Samuel Beckett's ominous libretto to Morton Feldman's Neither and talks about the influence these men had on his work.

Beckett wrote the libretto for Feldman's Neither, one of the pieces being played along with an ecstatic circus of a John Zorn piece by/at City Opera in NYC and if I could, I'd be extra-there. I have a good John Zorn story too, but I'll let that one rest as well. I might go get Feldman's For Samuel Beckett from the library, in case I was leaving you in too much suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment