Monday, May 9, 2011

he has the quantities

IMG_0870
  1. This guy's boots were the best act at Blues Fest.
Patti Smith, Radio Ethiopia
Marianne Faithfull, Broken English
Elton John, Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Glyn Styler, Live at the Mermaid Lounge

Richard Swift, The Atlantic Ocean
Destroyer, We'll Build Them a Golden Bridge
Chain and the Gang, Music's Not for Everyone
The Homemade Jamz' Blues Band, I Got Blues For You

  1. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever listened to "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" on purpose - like where it wasn't just playing somewhere - and wow, it's a long song. Elton John may not always have the qualities to move me, but he has the quantities. I think that's the problem I have with David Foster Wallace and Thomas Pynchon: they got the quantities, too; it's just that by the time they start budging me, I'm ready to move on my own
  2. Someone sent me a message via Facebook asking if I was hip to Glyn Styler. I was not! It might be the first time Facebook has proven to be unexpectedly useful. Timely, in that I was considering writing off the whole platform as a time suck. The first sign of a system having gone sentient is that it maneuvers to save itself.
  3. The Destroyer guy was so more fun when he didn't really have his shit together. There is probably a Law of Thermodynamics that governs this phenomenon. The bell tower through my open window in the background mixes so perfectly with "Whistlin' Dixie (She Shoots)" it's a little heartbreaking.
  4. "Rumors" by the Homemade Jamz' Blues Band was worth all the songs that led up to it. Like maybe ever.

1 comment: