Friday, August 5, 2011

a glow coming from my heart area


Is it a kolache or an accurate picture of my heart area?

Yesterday:
Booker T. Jones, The Road from Memphis
Harlem Underground Band, Harlem Underground Band

Raphael Saddiq, Stone Rollin'
Fitz & the Tantrums, Pickin' Up the Pieces
Talib Kweli, Gutter Rainbows
Louie
Dave Eggers, Zeitoun


Today:
Mia Doi Todd, Cosmic Ocean Ship
Lynn Drury, Sugar on the Floor
Antonio Carlos Jobim, Stone Flower
Tristeza, Fate Unfolds
Bon Iver, Bon Iver

  • I'm sure I said this back when I was a twenty-year-old pretentious thrift-store record enthusiast, but even now at times I wonder why I listen to anything but Booker T. records. His corniest records are still infused with thick honey spun off the nipples of muses. Maya latched right onto the drumming in his remake of "Crazy" when it came on the radio coming home from the pool.


    Booker T. Jones, "Crazy"

  • Get that cheeba, get through this heat wave. Not like it will make it any better, but it will make it less worser. That is Geroge "Give Me The Night" Benson on guitar up in there. "Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba" has a groove so tight, an echo so cavernous, I accidentally had it playing simultaneously from two different sources, out of sync, while putting this post together and I didn't really notice. Or mind when I did.


    Harlem Underground Band, "Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba"

  • I like his style though find Raphael Saddiq's neo-soul comes off a little thin and dry, but, man, I wish I looked half as good in a suit as he does. I'd settle for looking as good as one of the minor Tantrums.


    Fitz & the Tantrums, "Money Grabber" = my good times fun jam of the summer.

  • I talked the other day about feeling a phantom ringtone in my leg; today, I've been running around with my phone in my shirt pocket glowing like E.T.'s love and now it is sitting over on the desk, I detect a glow coming from my heart area, only in the corner of my eye, not when I look right at it. Perhaps I should eschew all electronics for the weekend and just stare at the moon, reset my gyroscope with the clock of the tides. Something. There's the balloon festival this weekend; I can look at that.

    Tristeza, "Manitas"

  • I finished Zeitoun in the wee hours of today and walked away from it with this: I blow up at work or cast darts through my social circle or do whatever crappy thing I do in the course of my daily humanity and then bounce it up against Zeitoun's dedication and suffering and persistent great attitude and I feel like a worm, so thanks for that Mr. Eggers! Once I'm over that feeling, though, I'm inspired by this story to be a kinder and more patient person.


    Bon Iver, "Wash."

No comments:

Post a Comment