Saturday, September 10, 2011

"bacon sandwich"

IMG_0667
You have to take a lot of blurry pictures of an abandoned feeder to get one discernible hummingbird.

XTC, Black Sea
Oingo Boingo, Nothing to Fear
David Bowie The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Badly Drawn Boy, The Hour of the Bewilderbeast
Denis Cooper, Train Dreams


  • The first tailgate of the season was a bust, but then I am merely a consumer of my buddy John's tailgating largess, and not remotely involved in what it takes to make it happen, so no complaints here. It was a gorgeous day to stroll around campus, traditional game day bacon sandwich or no. Plus, I got the front yard mowed and the hummingbirds were in full stuntshow display, buzzing my heads as I tried to keep the damn camera steady and learn photography on the fly. Still, none of that has the same ring as "bacon sandwich".

  • I just spent the last hour reading the non-sports facets of ESPN's Grantland webzine thing, and can only imagine how knocked out I'd be if I was into sports. The Chuck Klosterman interview with/profile of Oasis' Noel Gallagher is luminous and this Wright Thompson piece is the best thing written about mescal since Under The Volcano. Volcano has the edge of being one of the best things ever written period. So, anyway, Grantland. Great stuff.

  • Speaking of great, Denis Johnson's Train Dreams is so great that I''m going to stop blogging right now and go finish it ...

  • ... And so I did. I attempt to show the fireflies trapped in the jar that is this book over at Goodreads but trying to put in words how good a book it is, it's like using cheap perfume to describe the expensive stuff.

  • I just walked out under this very moon with my best girl to get a grocery bag full of chips and salsa.




















Location:Baton Rouge,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment