Wednesday, November 16, 2011

do anything

Image
Sukie is on alert for any encroachment on our scene by The Man. Photo by Maya Cook.

Wednesday:
Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
The Avett Brothers, Carolina Jubilee

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
World Unite! Lucifer Youth Foundation, Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
Yuck, Yuck
The Tallest Man on Earth, The Wild Hunt

Thursday:

Laura Viers, Tumble Bee
Nektar, Retrospective (Deluxe Edition)


  • The main reason I love Oasis and Oasis-sourced product is that they take that moment when you are alone in your room or car or shower and put some dumb lyrics together (e.g. if I had a gun/I'd shoot a hole into the sun) and strum on a tennis racket and have your eyes closed and all and turn that into the real song. I like how he can end any couplet with "for you". As if there's any other reason to do anything.
        
  • My Zooey Deschanel-heavy post from yesterday was prematurely published and quickly obscured from view, should you be wondering what happened to it. It was an experiment in making this blog do more than it already does, whatever that is.

    Edited to add:
    and now I think I overlaid previous post with this one. That's OK, this one is better.
       
  • OK, me and my insomnia cozied up with an episode of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman last night. It was a satire of soap operas from Norman Lear, the guy who basically laid the template for the modern sitcom. MHMH is weird as hell, almost abstract in its stilted sense of drama, its hyper-flattened comedy. And it was on every day in the markets that would carry it. Dig the "Chicken Soup" episode.


         
  • I remember my parents watching it. MHMH is like Beckett and like the Jeffersons all at once, which makes me want to explore how Beckettian the Jeffersons actually was. I mean, what was with George always walking on the English neighbor's back? The maid that never cleans? Was the Jeffersons an anti-colonial reversal thesis with a laugh track and fantastic leisure wear?  Was the Void just outside those sliding patio doors?
        
  • Also,  Sherman Hemsley was pretty out there himself. I've posted this before but it's worth rereading how the TV star brought English out-rock band Gong to L.A. to do some sort of project involving installing flying teapots on Sunset Boulevard. Also worth reading for the descriptions of Mr. Jefferson's drug lair.

    Inside the front door of Sherman’s house was a sign saying, ‘Don’t answer the door because it might be the man.’ There were two Puerto Ricans that had a LSD laboratory in his basement, so they were really paranoid. They also had little crack/freebase depots on every floor. Then Sherman says, ‘Come on upstairs and I’ll show you the Flying Teapot room.’ Sherman was very sweet but was surrounded by these really crazy people.

    Here he is working a dance to prog rock band Nektar into the show. Because he wanted to, again, as if there is any better reason to do anything

1 comment:

  1. Noel's guitarist is my friend Tim Smith who has played with Jellyfish, The Producers and, ummm, Sheryl Crow. He was born in Baton Rouge and graduated from BRHS. Noel also once called me "Harry F'ing Potter" to which I responded by calling him Liam.

    ReplyDelete