Wednesday, March 7, 2012

how great and popular and well-represented in the media I am


Stacked up at Cottonwood Books. If you are the buy-books-from-a-bookstore-instead-of-a-website type, give Danny at Cottonwood a call. You might just be able to get your copy signed.

Jay Farrar, Will Johnson, Anders Parker, Yim Yames, New Multitudes 
John Martyn, London Conversation
Seu Jorge & Almaz, 
Seu Jorge & Almaz  
Gil Scott-Heron, Moving Target
Xiu Xiu, Always


The publicity trickle is a deluge today!

  • My appearance this morning on the Jim Engster Show is podcasted on WRKF's website, if you missed it.
  • Christie Matherne of Dig magazine gave Louisiana Saturday Night a very flattering review.
  • This week's 225 Select gave the book and the launch party a shout. You are coming, right? Saturday night at Teddy's Juke Joint in Zachary.
Outside of how great and popular and well-represented in the media I am: the Farrar/Johnson/Parker/Yames record is a gorgeously darker, heavier take on Wilco's effervescent, sunny take on Arlo Guthrie songs is a shimmering beauty of a record, The Sue Jorge is the best adult contemporary record I've heard in eons. The Xiu Xiu record is like dressing as a clown only to be beaten up by a circus. Gil Scott-Heron abides in my memory and in the memoir of his sitting on my living room table.

I'm slowly picking my way through Jujitsu for Christ which I thought was pretty good when there was a sudden, WHOA WHAT HAPPENED literary moment about adolescent sexual longing and then two pages later, another. It was like being tapped on the back of the head with a hammer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment