Saturday, June 9, 2012

175K

himalayas1
We got the big naan at Himalaya's

Saturday:
Little kid selecting Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis" at karaoke at the Red Stick Animation Festival
Kraftwerk, Autobahn
Robert Ashley, Improvement
  • I took Maya to a free face-painting/air-brush tattoo/karaoke kid's event at the Red Stick Animation Festival, and while I know to accept that karaoke is not for me and that it is for other people and in it they find a transcendence I find elsewhere, one kid, a kid, got up and requested Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis". Let us discount that it is a terrible song; what course of events leads a kid to pick that among the banquet of karaokiable wonder that is contemporary pop music? I expected the horsemen from the apocalypse to come galloping in at any second, declaring the progress of culture to be Over and that were were to be rounded up to toil the rest our lives in the robot factories. Or I wondered, as the costumed Spiderman broke-danced in my direction, why Hell was not fiery, with horned demons and cauldrons? 
  • Everybody both loves and hates Katy Perry's "Fireworks" and two other kids did it, just standing there. Why not Glee it up? Isn't that what that music is for? Maya and I decided a karaoke "Fireworks" should include fire breathers, tigers jumping through flaming hoops, buildings around us crumbling under waves of demolition, an earthquake cracking the earth between the singer's feet, vultures plucking children from the panicking crowd* as colossi vaporize them with laser rays. That is how you do it.
  • This little old blog reached 175K visits last night. It deserves some kind of fanfare. Maybe not karaoke "Fireworks" but something. We got the big naan at Himalaya's last night. For a second I thought the guy was bringing us a giant baked flounder. He did say it would be a surprise. 
  • I'm left tonight to my own devices and am fixing to meet some dudes up at a fake English pub situation just down the street from the giant naan.
  • I don't know if any of this is all related or even interesting. I told one of those dudes that I was going to go home and listen to Kraftwerk really loud because I was left to my own devices and this was a thing of which my devices are capable. Another friend worked for composer Robert Ashley for a while and said his work was "really boring, but in a good way." That idea has stuck with me over the years, as each of the 175K among you already know. Salut!
*Her contribution to the imagined mayhem. It made her daddy proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment