Thursday, August 23, 2012

controlled burn

WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports
This is a video of the "vent and burn" of the isobutane tanker spill that shut down I-10 yesterday.  I love a controlled burn. My father-in-law was forever conducting or threatening to do a controlled burn on his farm and it sent terror rightfully into the minds of everyone involved but I like how it was a problem solver in his mind. In tribute, I offer it up as a solution to pretty much any problem. I think sweet thoughts about old Robert every time a controlled burn takes place.

Thursday:
The Psychedelic Furs, Talk Talk Talk
Bloc Party, Four
Donald Ray Pollock, The Devil All the Time
Art Brut, Art Brut vs. Satan
The Hold Steady, Separation Sunday
Fucked Up, Year of the Ox
Yuck, Yuck (Deluxe)
Kurt Vile, Childish Prodigy
Atlas Sound, Parallax
Au Ras Au Ras, The Great Nothing

We did "Surrender" in guitar class last night and it occurred to me this morning that you could break into "Pretty in Pink" at the bridge which would be an interesting contrast of messages: exalt our wreckage -> exploit your sweetness. Plus, it would sound cool and the crowd would go bananas.

I really like The Devil All the Time, but I'm ready for it to be over. I am at the 60% mark and the apocalypse of indignity that is to inevitably befall his characters lies just up the tracks. Where the smoke billows and the blood pools, just over there.  It would make the best HBO series if they were willing to go down in the hole with Pollock's appetite for human degradation and his ability to tweeze out some sweetness from worst people imaginable. It is vivid, cinematic, melodramatic even, horrifying and so human. Like all of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment