Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fête Rouge

IMG_5092
This was the business at hand at the Baton Rouge Epicurean Society's Fête Rouge event. I was sat on stage with the Country Roads crew judging the whites. We wondered if it is because they saw us as the whitest magazine in Baton Rouge, but I'd argue there are some more likely contenders in town. We requested a spot at a moonshine table next year should that scene take hold here.

#3 was my favorite, deemed by me to be "snow just before it dissipates". One I enjoyed less was "like jumping off a trampoline into a waterbed" meaning it sounds like a good idea at the time and then it isn't. Wine tasting is a poet's labor.

I blame the quality of the following photos on the preceding quantity of wine. You are supposed it spit it out, you say?

Friday:
Iggy Pop, New Values
The Remains, The Remains
Lyres, Some Lyres
DMZ, DMZ
The 13th Floor Elevators, Easter Everywhere

Saturday:
King Tuff, King Tuff
Lyle Lovett and His Large Band, Lyle Lovett & His Large Band


IMG_5095
There were so many amazing little things to eat, and by amazing, I don't mean the way cool people describe the near-random doings of their layabout friends, but stuff designed to amaze. The above seared tuna wonton topped with Pacific rim salsa by the Edible Event was a key example. I almost skipped it. Who wants catering hors d'oeuvres when the area's finest are flaunting their finery? But, damn! it was balanced like a tightrope walker, revealing layers of salt and tart and breadiness and vinegar each time I walked away. Maybe because this dish was made for this event, catered and all; it was one of my favorite items on offer.

IMG_5098
I want to play some kind of high stakes 3-D chess against a drunken eastern European galley cook using this array of duck terrine morsels.  One of them could be poisoned and each player has eat his captured piece.

IMG_5106
This slider topped with bacon and a quail egg from Fat Cow surprised me in that I really liked it. I don't care for how Fat Cow does its patties; they squeeze the life out of them leaving one's $15 lunch to be carried by gourmet toppings and their righteous fries and Austinesque environs. This was right on. Fat Cow, make your burgers like this and I'll sing your praises. Cook them on a butane skillet in a hotel ballroom and have them ferried to your restaurant if that's what it takes. Also, let go of the sweet bun thing. It doesn't help.

IMG_5103
I will take a similar spoonful of the Louisiana Culinary Institute's sweet potato ice cream with lychee caviar minutes after my daily morning espresso. Thanks for asking.

IMG_5107
What a mess of people drinking a mess of wine eating a mess of food. The room teetered with excess. I love these kinds of things.

IMG_0003
Should you be concerned that I've lost my way in epicurean high cotton, I'm about to get busy with this Classic with jalapeño from Philly Me Up. Bony appetite, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this great write up on our event! I am so glad you enjoyed it! We look forward to see you at Fete Rouge 2013.

    Renee Molbert
    Executive Director
    Baton Rouge Epicurean Society

    ReplyDelete