Saturday, October 20, 2012

everybody start a band

adultmusicclub01
First gig: accomplished! The Adult Music Club I go to every Wednesday played their first gig at Art in the Park on Saturday.

Friday
Screamin' Jay Hawkins, I Put a Spell on You: The Best of...
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Doc at the Radar Station
Black Sabbath, Mob Rules
Blue Cheer, Outsideinside
Frijid Pink, Frijid Pink
Pärson Sound, Pärson Sound

Saturday:
The Rolling Stones, Some Girls

Our set list was as follows

  • I Put a Spell On You (Screamin' Jay Hawkins)
  • Pipeline (The Ventures)
  • E major country blues
  • Goo Goo Muck (The Cramps)
  • Way Down in the Hole (Tom Waits)

adultmusicclub02
They say the microphone adds ten pounds.

with yours truly singing on the first and last two songs. This was so fun. I thought we pulled it off. I recommend that everybody start a band. I haven't figured out which Frijid Pink song I'm going to suggest we work up but we are pretty close of having our hard country version of Judas Preist's "You Got Another Thing Comin'" down. Listening to Some Girls as I type this, I want to learn to play every song on Some Girls. The outtakes on the bonus disc are as good as the real thing.



Whatever we'll play, we'll play it next Saturday at the Louisiana Book Festival at 4 p.m. My book talk is at 11:45 a.m. in the Louisiana State Museum Auditorium with a signing at the book tent at 12:30.  Don't worry; I'll remind you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to have discovered your blog! not only am in the throws of doing research for a honky tonk book I am working on, I too want to start a band (against the wishes and better judgment of my family)

    GREAT POST

    ReplyDelete