Friday, October 26, 2012

make the whirly noises



I had my students cover this event for the Media Writing class I teach. Much like the deal with chicken places, I hatch elaborate schemes to make people listen to weird music. There is probably a compound German word for that.

Sunday:
The Soft Pack, Strapped
Echo & the Bunnymen, Crocodiles
Bauhaus, Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape, Burning from the Inside, The Sky's Gone Out

Monday:
Niney the Observer, Observer Attack Dub
Twilight Circus Dub Sound System, Volcanic Dub
The Black Keys/RZA, "The Baddest Man Alive"

Tuesday:
Dennis Russell Davies / Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra / Raschèr Saxophone Quartet / ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra, Philip Glass: Symphony No. 2; Interlude from Orpheé; Concerto for Saxophone Quartet & Orchestra
Of Montreal, Daughter of Cloud
The Velvet Underground, The Quine Tapes: Volume 1
John Cale, Fear
The Durutti Column, Short Stories for Pauline

Wednesday:
Concert of iPhone and iPad instruments made by the LSU MAG group

Thursday:
Cecil Taylor, Garden
Circle (Anthony Braxton, Chick Corea, Dave Holland), Circulus
Finn Peters, Music of the Mind

Friday:
So Percussion, Where (We) Live
Rene Hell, The Terminal Symphony



Circle, Quartet Piece No. III

For instance, there was a time when I might have said that obscure-by-free-jazz standards racket supergroup Circle was my favorite band. I bought a bunch of those whirly tube things from a dollar store to make the whirly noises in my apartment along with this track. I'd have kept it up even after you left.

No comments:

Post a Comment