Monday, October 8, 2012

thirteen hundred fifty-two guitar pickers in Nashville



Such a pretty poster. I've been remiss in my blog-bligation due to work and more work and then getting ready for my trip to Nashville for the Southern Festival of Books. My panel with Hackberry Rambler Ben Sandmel - author of Ernie K-Doe: The R&B Emperor of the Universe - is on Saturday Oct. 13 at 3:00 p.m. with a signing shortly after.

I'm hoping to get in some pancakes and hot chicken but otherwise my low budget docket is wide open. I'd like to go browse records with fellow author/presenter Damien Echols at Jack White's record store, if his publicity people are listening.

The deets follow:
Alex Cook
is an author and journalist living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He is the author of two books and is working on a third on south Louisiana restaurants, forthcoming in 2014. He is a member of the faculty of the Manship School of Mass Communications at Louisiana State University. Saturday, October 133:00-4:00 pm, Nashville Public Library, Special Collections RoomMe-Oh My-Oh From K-Doe to Bayou: People and Place in Louisiana MusicAlex Cook, Ben Sandmel3:00-4:00 pm, Nashville Public Library, Special Collections Room
Me-Oh My-Oh From K-Doe to Bayou: People and Place in Louisiana MusicAlex Cook, Ben Sandmel
Louisiana Saturday Night: Looking for a Good Time in South Louisiana's Juke Joints, Honky Tonks and Dance Halls


I hated this song when I was a kid. It was everywhere.


Lovin' Spoonful, "Nashville Cats"

But I like it now. I like songs that lay out the numbers  - the thirteen hundred fifty-two guitar pickers in Nashville  - and how he says "I sure am glad I got to say a word about the music and mothers of Nashville." It's a nice thing to put in a hit song.

Thursday:
Everything by No Age on Spotify
Almost everything by Guns N' Roses on Spotify

Friday:
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, The Mindeater EP
Vijay Iyer, Reimagining

Saturday:
is a blank spot. Not even Facebook knows what I did.

Sunday:
New Order, Low-Life
Everything by Lightnin' Slim on Spotify
Lonesome Sundown, Excello Recordings

Monday:
Christian Scott, Christian aTunde Adjuah

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (via the Guardian)
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Murder Ballads

No comments:

Post a Comment